Wednesday 3 September 2014

Chapter 4

Take a Letter

I found a nice letter K in a caligraphy book I have and made a template of it.  This first picture is the letter facing the same way each time.


This picture is flipping the letter from side to side each time.

This picture is flipping top to bottom.


This one is flipping top to bottom and side to side.

 This one is rotating the letter clockwise a quarter turn and going round the page.

All these patterns are very similar but they do create some interesting shapes.

Extra Activity.

I chose these two pictures of Rosalie Gascoyne's work.  I particularly like the 'Schweppes' one,  I like the colours and it appears to be old wooden signs that she is using.





This is my first attempt at this.  I have coloured every shape and space but my letter K is starting to look different.


This one has spaces without pattern in and is very interesting.


Activity 2.4.2  Rotational Patterns.

I have continued with the same template as I wanted to see how far away from a letter K the patterns could get.

This is straightforward drawing each letter in each triangle and then again in each corner.


This was the small square inside the larger one

This was three circles

This was trying overlapping letters in a circle and a rectangle.  I haven't quite got the join up correct in the circle otherwise it would have been quite good.  Very complex.

I then scanned the drawings into my Paintshop programme.  I managed to work out how to colour each shape but for some reason it did not like this one letter.  It is something to do with matching pixels I think but I don't understand it.


I had the same problem with the other pictures so I have done something different with them.



I then tried using some of the special effects on offer.  This is what the above picture would look like if I cut it up and wove it together again.

This is a kaleidoscope effect, it makes a really pretty design.

I have loved doing this chapter and realise that what I have done is only the tip of the iceberg, you could go on forever producing designs, especially when you get onto the computer as well.

1 comment:

  1. Love your experiments. Reminds me of something we did at college. I was amazed how far away you can get from the original image, all of a sudden the design element takes on a life of its own.

    ReplyDelete