Tuesday 5 May 2015

Module 3 Chapter 6

Torn Papers

I started this chapter by making a small pile of torn papers using different types of paper, newspaper, brown paper, pre-painted paper, tissue paper and kitchen towel.

I then pasted these onto three pages of my sketchbook.



The first page I covered with a wash of watered down ink.  The second page I covered with a pearlescent ink that I hadn't watered down.  I was quite surprised to see the pattern on the tissue paper still showed through.  This would have been better thinned down.

For the third page I took your advice and tried writing ink.  The top of the page is undiluted and then I did the rest of the page with water added.  I really like this page, it has a mystery to it.

I made two viewfinders although I have used them before I could only find a very small frame one, I suspect I have accidentally cut the others up to make printing stamps.  I then chose some photographs and magazine pictures of landscapes.


I chose a lovely view of Lake Garda to trace.

I then made a collage of it using mostly magazine papers.  I should have put the blue water under the buildings when I glued them down, then the white patch at the side would have disappeared and the perspective on the buildings would have been right.  I had all the pieces laid out at the side of my paper and I picked them up in the wrong order.

I then did a series of three pictures in which I changed the colours.  The piece on the right isn't quite the right size, it should have more buildings on it, or maybe the one in the middle should have fewer.  I wondered if I was put off by the size of my paper being smaller on the last piece - a good excuse.  I could also have varied the height of the buildings a bit more. I then tidied them up and put them in my sketchbook.


This was an interesting chapter, I haven't done much collage like this before and I was reasonably pleased with how they turned out.  They are a bit 'impressionistic' which takes me into the next chapter quite nicely.


No comments:

Post a Comment