Sunday 4 September 2016

Module 5 Chapter 1

Making a folder or pocket book.

I decided to use some of these envelopes that I had on the shelf.  We recycle loads of envelopes at the library as the Trustees pass paperwork round and my daughter had given me these leftovers from a job she had done.


They are really sturdy brown paper and have inserts in the sides for putting large quantities of paper in.  I decided I needed to cover the printing on them so I used a technique we had demonstrated at my textile group, using black, red and white acrylic paint and a variety of childrens painting equipment.

 This is one side of the printing

 and this is the other.  I removed the flaps as I didn't think they had any purpose for this exercise and I used them for trying out the paint.


To join the envelopes together to make a book, I stitched a Greek key pattern in black down the full length of a piece of calico I had.  I tore the strip off which gave a frayed edge and threaded it through holes I had punched in the envelopes.  I couldn't make a proper stab stitch finish as I didn't have a long enough piece of fabric so I just went in and out of the holes from bottom to top and then back down again.  The ends are finished with two beads.

I was quite pleased with this.  The printing is hardly visible and the envelopes make a useful book.  Might do this again for library paperwork!


No comments:

Post a Comment