Thursday 29 September 2016

Module 5 Chapter 3

Artists Self Portraits

I found the following self portraits on Google Images.

Van Gogh.  One of my favourite artists, there is so much texture in his paintings.

Rembrandt.  I love the series of self portraits so that you can see him age. His eyes are quite hypnotic.

Marie Louise-Elisabeth Vigee-Lebrun.  Apparently she was noted for her wit, beauty and charm and I think this comes across in her painting.  She did many portraits of Marie Antoinette.

Picasso.  Quite a young man here but a few lines can portray strong features.

Andy Warhol.  This photograph has been produced in many different colours on the black background.  The head seems to float in mid air giving it a supernatural feel.

I have trimmed the photographs and mounted them in my sketchbook for future reference.

I was looking through books that I have at home and found this self portrait by Albrecht Durer.


This is the first time I have used watercolours to produce specific colours.  As you can see I had problems trying to get the shadows around his mouth and chin and he has ended up looking as though he has a dirty face.  I found it difficult to get rid of the hard edges of the paint but still keep it within a certain space.  He looks a lot more feminine in my painting and I think that is partly due to the tilt of the head that I have given him.  It probably wasn't the easiest choice to paint but I enjoyed doing it.





No comments:

Post a Comment